Friday, November 14, 2008

Wheelthrown Ornaments

I always make ornaments for the holidays. They are a good low ticket item, fill space in my kiln and make great last minute gifts for good customers, friends and family. I use cookie cutters to cut shapes from rolled out clay slabs. Then I use all my texture tools and stamps to create designs. I finish them off with twisted copper wire hangers.



This year I decided to also make some wheelthrown ornaments. They were thrown off the hump (hollow inside) and carved in the leatherhard stage. I will be glazing them and firing them later this week. Watch for a future post to see their progress. So far, I think they are pretty cool!



4 comments:

Jerry said...

Those look absolutely amazing! I cannot wait to see how they look after the final firing. How will you support them for the glaze firing? Nicrome wire?

Anonymous said...

These are so lovely Amy! I wish I had time to make homemade holiday gifts these days. They are always the best kind.

Pigeon Road Pottery said...

Hi Jerry! I am firing on wednesday, so you won't have long to wait. I am going to hang them on wires resting on shelf posts. I will post another photo of them when I open up the glaze firing.

Linda Starr said...

Wow, your ornaments are wonderful. I, too, can't wait to see how they look glazed. I am also looking forward to seeing how you frame the tiles in the post above. So good to see more of your work.